Sam's Reading: A Work in Progress

New to this...

The Difference Between Us

The Difference Between Us - Rachel Higginson For fans of:
Insecure heroines (I don't always think that's a terrible thing)
Weird reading audience breaks for humor (I just read this in another book and was ok after I got over it)
Strikethrough as a mechanism for conveying hyperbole and sarcasm-talk about pulling me out of the book.
Some good humor and a peppy, though unpolished writing style.

So, the heroine doesn't have her shit together and the hero does. Cool. The heroine is being sexually harassed at work and side note here-I can't tell if there's some shallow feminist stuff going on or what, but basically explains she is a feminist, but you know the reasonable kind...and I really felt like it was a weird jab at women in corporate America....and women...and feminists.

I did enjoy the hero's method of wooing. His game was pretty strong and subtle enough. What I hated? That the heroine didn't use the hero to challenge her to make her better, but to tell her she's better. Including validation for her work-cause he'd hire her above all others. ugh, c'mon. Bore. Speaking of boring, the declarations? It read like a laundry list and is certainly no "Wednesday by Wednesday, week by week, I have loved you." Or insert your favorite here.

I'm waiting on that romance where the person isn't talented or ambitious and the person who loves them doesn't give a fuck.

I got off on a bit of a ramble. I think it is cause in the end, I found this book to be a bit of a vapid waste of time. It had potential, she can write snappy humor and sweet nothings. The attempt for social commentary on sexual harassment was a bit too heavy-handed (though well done in the beginning for its evolution) BTW DOCUMENT DOCUMENT TAPE RECORD. Anyway, so it all seems a bit of a shame chore waste. (See what I did there, so clever)

The Mistake (Off-Campus) (Volume 2)
Elle Kennedy
Flowers from the Storm
Laura Kinsale, Nicholas Boulton
After the Kiss: The Stiletto Series
Lauren Layne
The Score (Off-Campus) (Volume 3)
Elle Kennedy