Sam's Reading: A Work in Progress

New to this...

The Stone Sky

The Stone Sky - N.K. Jemisin And I will tell you everything of how, later, as the quiet of death descended, I whispered:
Right now.
Right now.
And the earth whispered back:
Burn

So look. I buddy read this with Joanna, and I'm glad. I sucked at it, we mostly touched base about where we were at...because if you read the above passage what I can tell you is how that feels-how that seems to hit a little too close to home right now-it's what I felt when I read nearly every word of this work. It was a stunning, aching conclusion to this trilogy that started off in its usual way. NKJ somehow creates engagement with a strange sense of detachment. I caught myself wondering if I was catching it all (probably not, it's rich as hell) I feel like an observer in the world. I don't know how this happens, but then it reaches out and crushes you.

And then somehow, she brings you back to life. In the final ten pages of this book, it hurt so deeply and a few pages later, she gave me hope.

In reading her author's note, I burst into tears. I can't explain how difficult this book was for me to read (yet enjoyable) and how timely it feels. I think you're going to have to just go ahead an take my 5 stars-for the entire series and figure it out yourself if you read it.

The Mistake (Off-Campus) (Volume 2)
Elle Kennedy
Flowers from the Storm
Laura Kinsale, Nicholas Boulton
After the Kiss: The Stiletto Series
Lauren Layne
The Score (Off-Campus) (Volume 3)
Elle Kennedy