Sam's Reading: A Work in Progress

New to this...

First and First (Five Boroughs Book 3)

First and First (Five Boroughs Book 3) - Santino Hassell 3.75 - rounded up.

Santino Hassell and his less than perfect characters can always pull me into their drama and angst. For whatever reason, I did not find see the spots of humor as I have in prior books. The characters were solid, and really so was the story, but sometimes the language just affects my delicate sensibilities (I joke, but this one was a bit harder). It had its time and place, but it is just not always for me. I've noticed it before, but it was particularly harsh in this one (lots of sluts/hos/and so on) - I noticed the grit wasn't as balanced with Hassell's ability for beautiful language in this one. In this case, first person may have hurt the book where it's worked in prior books in the series (I know the first was, can't remember if the second was).

Secondary characters loom large and adorable, as usual, this continues to be a strength in his world-building. I'm starting to feel like I know this entire group.

Ultimately, though I really enjoyed Oli and Caleb, Michael and Nunzio won't seem to give up my heart.

Midsummer Moon
Laura Kinsale, Nicholas Boulton
My Plain Jane
Brodi Ashton, Jodi Meadows, Cynthia Hand
The Mistake (Off-Campus) (Volume 2)
Elle Kennedy
Flowers from the Storm
Laura Kinsale, Nicholas Boulton
After the Kiss: The Stiletto Series
Lauren Layne
The Score (Off-Campus) (Volume 3)
Elle Kennedy